Monday, April 20, 2009

The Lounge - Mmmm..Beer - Sea Dog Blue Paw Review



This is my first review in a series I'm going to start called "Mmmmm-Beer." Its going to be part of a bigger ongoing series tagged "The Lounge." In the Lounge, Jen and I will be reviewing various beers, liquors, cigars, and wine (that's more Jen!) So kick back, take off your shoes, relax, put on some good music and enjoy the Lounge!

Today, we're going to be enjoying a delicious, refreshing beer from the Sea Dog Brewing Company , located in the great state of Maine, "Americas Mitten." Jenny and I love this beer and get extremely excited when we are able to find it. The latest batch has traveled back from our vacation in Florida with us and we are saving and savoring every last drop. Usually it is around 8 bucks a six pack, but unfortunately we had to pay a couple of bucks more for it down in Florida, but it was worth it! Sea Dog has several different fruit beers, but I'm always so excited when I have the opportunity to have the 'Blue Paw,' I haven't been able to try any of their other brews, even though I'm sure they are just as great. Enough with the background, on with the brewski! The Blue Paw is a wheat,fruit-based ale that is infused with blueberries. I first tried this down in Bloomington, Indiana while still in college and got my first 6 pack from the legendary Big Red Liquor store off of Walnut Ave. I have yet to have a bottle that disappoints. This beer is best drunk out of a pint or pilsner glass so you are able to enjoy the aromas this puts out. It pours a nice amber color, little bit of lacing on the glass. Smells like blueberries, but doesn't lose the wheat beer scent. The flavor is reminiscent of a blueberry muffin, ton of blueberry goodness, but not overpowering or overly sweet. Very refreshing and Jen and I actually nicknamed it 'the breakfast beer' because the flavor is so similar to blueberry muffins. If one had to go tailgating in the morning, this would be the beer to do it with. One of my favorite fruit beers, if not my favorite. Mmmmm..Sea Dog, we salute thee. Pick yourself up some, you will not be disappointed and you'll impress everyone who tries it. I award the Blue Paw 5/5 pints!

2 comments:

rottenpossum said...

I just had this beer for the first time this weekend in Nags Head, NC and I have to confirm that this is a very surprising and delightful beer. I drank mine with some pizza and fries and immediately wanted to find some closer to home. 5/5 here too!

Darth Wader said...

Yeah, its definitely one of my favorites. The first time I tried it, I was shocked at how much it tasted like a blueberry muffin. Glad you enjoyed as much as I did!